We all experience stress in one way or another but some of us do not know how to deal with it. Stress causes: depression, loss of appetite, weight gain, weight loss, body pain, change in one’s personality, etc. There are different forms of stress: Physical stress, Emotional Stress, Psychological stress and a lot more. Most people experience physical stress in their every day life, as a result of working, studying, travelling and so on. Some people don’t know how to deal with stress and as a result, rarely, may lead to depression, major depression, and sadly, suicide. A student committed suicide because he couldn’t deal with the amount of stress he faced at school. In my view. I think the student experienced physical stress, emotional stress and psychological stress. The student was suicidal which means at some point he was depressed or dealt with some form of depression (Psychological stress).The student was definitely not happy(Emotional Stress) and he probably couldn’t deal with the amount of physical stress from school and maybe other things we don’t know about. How can we deal with stress in a healthy way? This is a mnemonic that I formed based on myself, research and some people I know.
S: SLEEP(REST) T: TALK ABOUT IT R: RECREATION(LEISURE) E: EXERCISE/EAT S: STEADY S: SEX
NOTE!!! This may not help everyone dealing with stress or stress-related issues but I hope it does help most people. Discussing more on my mnemonic on Stress;
- SLEEP(REST): This is definitely the cure of stress for most people but also, some people don’t have the time to sleep because of work, studying and all. If you are stressed, try to make out time to sleep/rest from your busy schedule. The body needs to rest and stress is a signal the body gives most times when it doesn’t get enough rest. Sleep, goes a long way.
- TALK ABOUT IT: For most people, talking about their problems and difficulties help get over it. In this case, talking about stress with a friend, a sister, a group of friends, family, helps because you are taking a huge weight off your shoulder by letting others know how you feel. If talking about it, sleep, and the rest of the mnemonic doesn’t help, you might want to seek help from a doctor which I highly recommend especially for those going into depression or think they are depressed.
- RECREATION(LEISURE): “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” This has been confirmed to relieve a lot of people off stress. Going for a walk, watching some TV, playing games and doing things you like never hurts. Instead, it makes you happy and relaxed, making you feel better, hence, reducing stress.
- EXERCISE/EAT: Whenever I am stressed out and find myself thinking a lot, I pack my bag and off I go, to the gym. Working out helps me relieve stress. After I exercise, I eat and I feel refreshed, relaxed and content. Some people relieve their stress by eating and end up gaining weight while others don’t eat at all and lose weight. In my opinion, I will say do what makes you happy and content but do not starve yourself because it doesn’t help but instead, will make things worse. Eating gives you the strength to fight stress, yes fight.
- STEADY: Be steady, do not be frightened. Keep calm and trust that things will get better. Being positive and steady helps. For those that pray, like I do. It helps a lot when I do. Take a deep breath and smile. I know its hard and sometimes, it gets even harder and worse but with all these, try to be steady. At least, try to you’ll find that you will get better at being calm and that helps reduce stress.
- SEX: Sex is a great way to relieve stress. The advantage is the release of endorphins and other hormones that help improve mood and reduces anxiety. You had a long or a bad day at work. Your boss stressed you out and you are so mad. When you get back home, have sex and expect wonders afterwards. Sex also acts as a natural sedative. In a study I read about, researchers found daily intercourse for two weeks led to cell growth in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that keeps stress levels under control. Although this study was done on rats, I believe sex helps take away stress and a lot of people have testified to it.
I HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE HAVING A HARD TIME OR STRESSED OUT……